Experience medieval Italy at Il Borgo di Tragliata.
Located at the entrance to Rome, Il Borgo di Tragliata is an ancient
semi fortified village dating back 928 A.D.
We are located on a large estate which is 17 km north of Rome. Il
Borgo di Tragliata stands like a sentinel in the enchanted and unspoilt
Etruscan countryside close to the seaside.
The location has a great suggestion, offering a combination of open
countryside and deep Etruscan ravines. Inside the medieval borgo,
several apartments, all elegantly furnished, clustered harmoniously
around a grassy courtyard, with a church, a working medieval bread oven
and a tavern for guests. All this is framed by a parapet overlooking the
fields of Etruria.
Excellent for guests who want to have family reunions, parties,
weddings, ceremonies or country meals at home or in the tavern. The
borgo is also excellent for those who are simply looking to experience
The owners, Andrea and Giulia specialize in cultivation of natural
The apartments provide ample living space each sleeping from two to
eight people. They are furnished in traditional style with carefully
selected original furniture.
Open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and for lunch on
The "Cantina del Borgo" Restaurant is known for its fine
quality cuisine, light and fragrant traditional Roman dishes, homemade
pasta and for the special attention given to the food’s preparation.
We use only organic produce from our garden such as a variety of
vegetables. We also use natural honey and fine meats.
We serve a fixed menu of mixed hors d'oeuvres, two first dishes, two
second dishes with vegetables, one of which is vegetarian, and dessert.
Wedding ceremonies and banquets between 30 and 200 people are
organized in the gardens, on the terraces and in the community rooms of
the inn. Organization of these events is conducted completely by the
“Borgo di Tragliata” staff.
It is possible to organize private parties or thematic musical events
with either live music or a specialized DJ.
Saint Isidoro Church is a splendid baroque style church which holds
approximately 300 people (150 for each the bride and groom respectively)
and is just a few meters from the restaurant. It offers the possibility
to combine the wedding ceremony and banquet into an extended
Il Borgo di Tragliata rises above an impressive tufa buttress.
Archeological sources provide evidence that this area has been inhabited
since ancient times. The discovery of the famous, “Oinochoe of
Tagliatella” vase confirms the existence of human settlements since
the Etruscan era within an area subject to control by either Ceri or
The name “Tragliata” takes note of the place names, Talianum
Tagliata or Terlata, during medieval times and appears to be derived
from “Tagliata” (meaning “cut”), which is the word given to the
paths dug into the tufa by the Etruscans.
There are numerous sources, which provide research on the Roman era,
particularly between the republican and imperial ages.
The presence of several tombs dug into the tufa along the east slope
of the hill on which the village sits, along with several clay artifacts
found in the area, are evidence which suggest the presence of a small
agricultural settlement. In addition, other documentation reports the
findings of the remains of a Roman villa on Tragliata property. It is
also known that the two marble memorial stones found in this area have
inscriptions dating back to the third century AD.
The documentation of continual colonial life in the village doesn’t
date back before the fifth century. First, the fall of the Roman Empire
and then the Gothic-Byzantine war caused the near complete abandonment
of the region. Considering its easily defendable position, the presence
of a human settlement during such dark times can be only hypothesized.
The acquisition of Tragliata by the Roman church must be considered in
this hypothesis, an acquisition which has had written notarization only
since the ninth century.
Midway through the eighth century, this area of the Roman countryside
saw a period of repopulation thanks to the intelligence and will of Pope
San Zaccaria (741-752) and Pope Adriano I (772-793). Encouraged by
political and religious motives, these two Pontiffs presented an
energetic revival and control of the territory. It is from this movement
which brought forth the birth of the “Domuscultae” (cultivation
house), a district comprised of many small agricultural agglomerations,
which are spread out over a large zone. They are each centered on a
church and on an administrative and agricultural production control
The existing chapel and administrative center suggest that the
village took part in these realities during this period. The nearby
domuscultae in Galeria, found on the adjacent street, via Clodia, proves
the validity of this hypothesis. Founded in 780 by Adriano I, Galeria
represented one of the most important “cultivation houses” in the
countryside north of Rome: Tragliata would have taken part in a system
which had its center on this property, resting outside at nearby Cere.
Unfortunately, the nearly complete absence of reliable sources makes it
almost impossible to go beyond this hypothesis.
During ninth and tenth centuries the historical scene began to
change, the Roman countryside, with less support for the Papacy by the
Carolugian empire, was made subject to continual and bloody raids by the
Saracen pirates. The system of the “Domuscultae” entered into
definite crisis, superceded by a strong defense system of towers and
small castles; several coastal light towers were constructed to be used
as bright defense signals to alert the inland region upon the pirates’
approach. This new system almost naturally laid over the old network of
The adoption of this solution is easily explainable: with posts in an
intermediate zone amongst the great means of communication, the
“Domus” generally occupied an elevated position, which was ideal for
the defense and control of the territory.
The construction of Tragliata’s small castle and tower date back to
the ninth century, according to sources at the nearby Boccea castle. One
can easily notice how our village was constructed much like a
“fortified chess-board” by observing the remains of the original
The villages were linked in the directions of Aurelia/Clodia, Boccea/Torquinia:
In the south-west direction, it was linked to the important “Casal de
Ricci,” while to the southeast, in the direction of ancient Cornelia,
it was linked to Boccea Castle. It was connected to Galeria to the
north, not to mention the towers of Pascolaro and Malvicino, “Testa di
Lepre” castle and Tragliatella, also known as Civitella. Existing
accurate testimonies allow us to follow the events, which characterize
the village during these times, more accurately.
The estate still belongs to the Vatican Basilica, even if time after
time it was more or less controlled directly by others. In 1201, for
example, it was ruled by a certain Jocobus de Traliata who occupied it,
possibly as a lord. Several years later Tragliata, together with nearby
“castium” Loterni, became subject to the interests of the turbulent
A passage, derived from an original document, helps us to clarify
what happened: the men of the powerful family, under the cover of
darkness “noctis armis prohibitis cum scalis, picconibus, balisis,
portas Basilice frangi fecerunt et assaliverunt canonicos... res
Basilice invadendo, deprendendo, perrimpiendo.”
We don’t know exactly if the Normanni obtained control of Tragliata,
what is certain, however, is that the situation in Rome in those years
was particularly unstable from a political standpoint. It is important
to note how the events during this period characterized Tragliata’s
history, having greatly suffered continual disputes between the Pope,
the empire or from warring, Roman families who were always prepared to
contend for power and money.
It is possible that Tragliata was invaded and its castle dismantled
when Giacomo Savelli attacked Boccea in 1341 during a battle with Pope
Benedetto XII. It follows that, in midst of the continual political
twisting during those years, it appears rather difficult to determine
with certainty who “controlled” the estate on behalf of the Chapter.
In 1389, the “grazing rights” were given to a certain Lello
Maddaleni, but the tenants’ names hadn’t changed until the end of
the century. In 1493, the Tragliata estate, together with the centers of
Boccea and Civitella, was leased to the powerful Crescenzi family. A
more stable control of the Chapter in the village of Tragliata and its
tenants seems to have emerged beginning in this period. During the
second half of the 1700’s, the small village chapel, now in ruins,
wasn’t sufficient for the current needs of the agricultural community,
thus a larger church was built beside it in baroque style, named,
In 1885, the Chapter granted the Tragliata estate to Mr. Nicola
Santovetti as the perpetual leaseholder. Consequently, Santovetti sold
the lease to Mr. Domenico Lanza in 1917, (the great grandfather of the
present proprietor, Andrea de Gallo di Roccagiovane) who then took over
as a tenant to finally gain possession of the estate in the following